The Most Common Hiding Places for Germs, Pt. 2May 28, 2019
Five Remedies for the Stomach FluJuly 25, 2019
- These contain living organisms, mostly bacteria and one type of yeast. Probiotics are good bacteria, however, as they can assist the gut with digestion. These supplements are used to help treat certain gastrointestinal problems, as well as for basic digestive health. Certain types can relieve diarrhea and the symptoms of IBS. Probiotics can easily be added to malted milk or yogurt, and they can also be found in certain brands of yogurt.
- Licorice has an extract known as DGL, which can help treat the symptoms of heartburn and acid reflux, and doesn’t have as many side effects as actual licorice (such as high blood pressure).
- Peppermint oil. This can help ease the pain and bloating that is associated with IBS. If taken in enteric-coated capsules, the peppermint oil won’t dissolve in the stomach but instead will pass through the small and large intestines, where the oil is released. Only take in small doses.
- This can help provide relief for upset stomach, colic, nausea, anxiety, and insomnia.
- This helps relieve pain and discomfort associated with stomachaches. It can also relieve nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. Ginger comes in many forms – capsules, tablets, powder, and fresh roots. Some companies also make them in a hard candy form, and it also comes in the form of a drink (ginger ale). Take in small doses – only one to two grams per day.
- L-Glutamine. Glutamine is found in the body and supports the intestines and various other organs. The L-Glutamine supplement can help relieve diarrhea that is caused by surgery, stress, or infections. This supplement can also help you better absorb nutrients you need, especially if you have bad bacteria in your digestive tract, if you are currently taking cancer drugs, or if you have recently had part of your intestines removed.
- This ingredient is found in bulk laxatives. It has high fiber content, and therefore it can absorb water in the intestines, which makes stool bulky and easier to pass. Drink plenty of fluids while treating constipation to avoid dehydration and making your constipation worse.
- This vegetable’s leaf extract can help relieve symptoms of indigestion. When consumed daily, artichoke extract can help lessen nausea, vomiting, gas, and abdominal pain. It can also help treat IBS, reduce cramps and abdominal pain. It has no known interactions with other drugs at this time.